- For locating purposes of specific works and to group like together
- Purpose of collection affecting method of classification
- Predominantly grouped by subjects
- Different types of arrangement are frequently used in conjunction with subject; fiction – author; genre; series; format
- Other classifications: by language; format; rarity; sensitive/offensive material; special subject collections; special collections (eg. material requested to be kept together)
- Libraries concerned with providing information hence subject arrangement helps
- If based on already known items title and author would make sense
Is Classification Helpful?
- In classifying thoroughly using dewey some items are grouped together but others moved apart
- If searching for something else, resources could be scattered everywhere over the shelves!
- Hence the catalogue is of importance in considering limits of the shelf arrangement